Saturday, November 26, 2011

Fire & Grace Contemplative Service November 24th


(I was so busy protesting Stephen Harper's Crime Bill I forgot to post Thursdays service. (hugs)

Fire & Grace Contemplative Prayer Service
Living Spirit United Church – November 24, 2011

Welcome

Opening Reading  (spoken together)

O my Beloved, You have searched me
 and known me!
You know when I sit down and
when I rise up;
You discern my innermost thoughts.
You find me on the journey and
guide my steps;
You know my strengths and
my weaknesses.
Even before words rise up in prayer,
Lo, You have already heard
my heart call.
You encompass me with love where’er
I go,
And your strength is my shield.
Such sensitivity is too wonderful for me;
It is high; boundless gratitude
is my soul’s response.
          (from Psalm 139 trans Nan C. Merrill)

Chant:
Spirit of Truth, enter my mind,
Soul of Wisdom, enter my heart.
 (repeat)
Readings…
1st reading – listen, what word or phrase draws you.
2nd reading – listen, for an image that relates to your life.
3rd reading – listen, what might God be calling you to?



“As our idea of God expands, there is no word, no way, no gesture that can articulate it anymore.  Hence, we fall into silence, the place we should have been in the first place…
Through contemplative prayer, we are moving into a realm of reality that influences the past and the future perhaps more than anything else we could do.”                                                                          (Fr Thomas Keating)



Chant:
Spirit of Truth, enter my mind,
Soul of Wisdom, enter my heart.
 (repeat)


Silent Meditation (15-20 minutes ended by a bell)
Prayers of the people followed by Our Father.

Chant:
If you will, if you will, if you will, if you will.
You can become all flame,
become all flame, become all flame.
You can become all flame… become all flame!
(Darlene Franz, Seattle)
 (repeat)

Closing:  (spoken together)

“I have a capacity in my soul for taking in God entirely.  I am as sure as I live that nothing is so near to me as God.  God is nearer to me than I am to myself; my existence depends on the nearness and the presence of God.”                                 (Meister Eckhart)

Namaste.

No comments: