Sunday, December 04, 2011

City of Calgary Restatement of Offer to Occupy Calgary


My email has gone to Bill Bruce as my personal response to this...

Dear Mr Bruce.
I am not an Occupier, however I am a member of the Occupy Movement here in Calgary.
I was in attendance at the Occupy Calgary General Assembly held on November 19th.  (I actually had my photo in the Calgary Herald, sad and old as I looked that day).  I heard the reading of the offer and I heard one person state this paper should be burned.  I heard another opinion voicing the proposal to form a working group to respond to this offer.  To my knowledge this working group was operating in good faith that the city offer was still on the table when by-laws came around removing tents on November 21.  I think that move on the City’s part destroyed much of the faith Occupy Calgary supporters have tried to retain when thinking of the City of Calgary as a partner in democracy and an advocate of the people.
As a member of Women in Black, who stand vigil for peace twice a month at the Five Famous Statues, we have met many of the Occupiers and actually had them help us hold our banners.  The people camped at Olympic Plaza have many times stated their willingness to work with other people using the park and I have seen many friendly interactions happening.  I think it is unreasonable to expect this willingness to continue if it means to actually move the tents which are insulated for the winter conditions.  I think the tents are situated in a good location to allow all citizens to use the park effectively.
I think it would be wonderful to have Occupy Calgary and the City of Calgary representatives sit down to negotiate this issue sensibly and without waving papers and overreactions of by-law officers and City Police Services.  I think it would be wonderful if the City assisted the Occupiers to find a reasonable way to continue to keep their message in front and center of the public eye.  Until this happens I support the camp as it exists. 
Sincerely,
Jan Bacon
Resident in the riding of Calgary Centre  

No comments: