Friday, October 03, 2008

Education and Not Indoctrination...

as a follow up to yesterday's post about Marcus Borg - rlp today has given us a link to Drew Smith of Wilderness Preacher. He has written an article on Marcus Borg for the Society of Biblical Literature. He tells us what happened the semester he put Marcus Borg on his student's reading list.

"I am convinced that students should read scholars like Borg because their knowledge of more liberal thinkers should not be solely left to the interpretations of others. I shudder to think that we have come to the point where self-appointed answer-giving professors must shield undiscerning students. This is an insult to students and is not the mission of education where independent critical thinking is the hallmark."

thanks rlp, for encouraging me to think for myself, I am enjoying the journey...

later man, jan

No comments: