Wednesday, October 07, 2009

What Joy comes from a Pre-Schooler...

It is a privilege to carry a little one to pre-school and back.

Being woken up early in the morning with cold little hands saying "get up, Gramma, get up" :) I open the front door and turn on the lights and then climb back into bed. I sometimes even get a chance to drift back off to sleep before he arrives.

It's fun watching a small child inhale a whole apple juice box in pretty much one long suck and then stuff down the last crumb of raisin toast because he *knows* he won't get one of Gramma's candies if he doesn't finish breakfast.

Enjoying that look you get when he catches you brushing your teeth in your hands under the tap. And that long discussion about why Gramma's teeth fell out because she didn't look after them when she was a teen. And the joy when he quickly ran to the other bathroom and standing on tippy toes, he turned on the light, reached in the cabinet for his toothbrush and quickly brushed his teeth, all by himself!

Every time we go, Gramma parks in a different spot and it's fun to go 'find where the car is hiding'. He's getting really good pushing the remote to lock and unlock the door and today we had a giggle because for some reason, the trunk popped open.

Today is really special because I now have a Thankful Tree to put up on my fridge. The items on the tree are mommy and daddy and Peter and "Hoot" and jellybeans and Spiderman toy and my dog and my blue blankie and macaroni & cheese. What an assortment. And what wonderful teachers to take all that time to explain his picture.

And now I must go bake chocolate chip cookies for the Sunday School's big and little ones this weekend. It's a privilege. Don't worry, I'll save us a few for Thanksgiving at the cabin as well.

later man, jan

1 comment:

Pete'smom said...

I'm glad you have the thankful tree, I wish I had one too.