Saturday, November 08, 2008

Every Day Should be Thanksgiving...

What are you doing with your Saturday? Did you sleep in late like me? Did you go out to buy good food to cook and plan to sit around and play cards or watch some cartoons with your family?

We take so much for granted every day. I'm sitting here thinking about those people pulling their dead and injured children out of that school in Haiti. Sitting here thinking about the Cuban people waiting to be hit with Hurricane Paloma. Sitting here thinking about refugees running for their lives in the Congo. Sitting here thinking about 'internally displaced' people living in camps because they have no home to go to. Sitting here thinking about women who need to mend their children's clothes and do it by hand in the dark because they have no electricity.

I am thankful that CBC journalist Mellissa Fung has been released into the custody of Canadian officials in Kabul, four weeks after she was abducted. I am thankful that my grandchildren can come and eat a warm meal and visit in our home with no fear or want. I don't want to wonder why me? Why am I lucky and these other people aren't. I don't want to feel guilty - but somehow I do!

I am thankful.
later man, jan

No comments: