Monday, October 27, 2008

Slavery is Outlawed but still persists...


I can't think of anything more horrifying than the fact that slavery still exists in our world. Many hundreds of thousands of people around the world live in degrading conditions in rural areas where they have no schooling and therefore don't even know that laws exist to protect their human rights. That it is against the law to be taken at the age of 12 and raped and made to bear a man's child. Many countries appear to have passed laws to keep the neighbours happy but are doing nothing to actually enforce the laws within their borders.

BBC News today announced that ex-Slave Hadijatou Mani has finally won her case and the government of Niger is required to pay compensation to her for failing to protect her. She was 'freed' but then jailed for bigamy in 2005 because her 'master' claimed they were married. Anti-Slavery International has been helping her with her case.

In a country like Niger, where slavery is outlawed but still common, this case has been an ongoing example of the bravery of one woman. She wants her children to be raised as free people.

In another article she says "I am very thankful for this decision. It was very difficult to challenge my former master and to speak out when people see you as nothing more than a slave," Ms Mani said.

"With the compensation I will be able to build a house, raise animals and farm land to support my family. I will also be able to send my children to school so they can have the education I was never allowed."

I wish this lady nothing but peace and prosperity for the rest of her life. I would love to be able to lend her some money through Kiva or possibly send some education money for her children through Education Generation. I tell myself that each person we help out of poverty will bring this world one step closer to health and happiness for everyone.

later man, jan

No comments: