Sunday, March 11, 2007

Spent any time planning your funeral??

Just thinking here...

I was singing one of my favourite hymns in church today and thinking I should add it to the list that is in my computer under 'thoughts for my funeral' --- you know, that file that John will never find in a million years, even if he remembers to look:)

Then I was reading a discussion on WonderCafe about this green alternative to cremation. I had always wanted to be cremated because - God forbid - if for some reason I am aware of what is happening, I sure don't like worms and stuff. And cremation appears the only other choice.

So today I hear about this freeze-dry alternative. Seems that after you are quick frozen and dried out, they can shake you to fine dust and put you in a jar. That way I could still be taken over the mountains (in a bio-diesel powered automobile) and scattered around at Beaton and add my little bit to the beauty of the spring flowers.

I googled the concept and found a link to the Redwood Funeral Society where they talk about the process, known as promession, that has been developed in Sweden and aims to address the shortage of burial spaces and reduce the mercury pollution created by dental fillings during cremation.

This news is from 2005 so I think that if dental fillings are the only ecological issue, then I am fine with cremation because my teeth are all store-bought. But if cremation also uses too much energy and adds toxins to the air (who me? toxic?) well, then, you guys left behind better look for a better solution thanx.

So well, whatever you think, I won't really have a choice after I'm gone - but maybe this post will stick in your mind anyway :)
later man, jan

1 comment:

jan said...

I just found a link to green burials in Canada and the US at http://www.forestofmemories.org/index.html
and a British advertisement for green caskets at
http://www.eco-coffin.co.uk/